A UCPM driven inter-disciplinary capacity providing guidance and supporting globally for the protection of cultural heritage at risk of disaster
- National meetings, international workshops and working groups for elaborating terms of reference, legal arrangements and guidelines for the setting-up of a European multi-stakeholder and multi-sectoral capacity able to reinforce disaster preparedness capacities of interested States for the safeguard of CH at risk and, in case of emergency, to support national response actions of affected countries.
On November 2021, the project organised a Virtual International Training Module on the Protection of Tangible and Intangible Cultural Heritage during Emergency.
The course proposed was an advanced training session for disaster risk management and cultural heritage experts dealing with the protection of both tangible and intangible cultural heritage during emergency. The course aimed at reinforcing knowledge, skills, and procedures for the creation of Union Civil Protection Mechanism (UCPM)-driven modules or teams dedicated to the protection of cultural heritage at European level, as well as at strengthening resilience capacities at national level. In particular, the course addressed issues that can increase the capacity of the UCPM to support, upon request, Countries overwhelmed by disasters also affecting the cultural heritage protection sector. Therefore, with the aim to ensure interoperability between deployed modules to assist operations in a coordinated and effective manner, the course provided specialized knowledge on how to deal with cultural heritage protection in emergencies in line with the European standards.
The programme consisted of six sessions, each lasting about 5 hours, held on 8, 9, 17, 22, 23 and 26 November 2021:
- PART A – CIVIL PROTECTION AND CULTURAL HERITAGE: INSTITUTIONAL AND LEGAL FRAMEWORK
- PART B.1- INTERNATIONAL MISSIONS: PHASES OF THE ACTIVATION PRACTICAL ISSUES
- PART B.2 – TYPES OF MISSION
- PART C – OPERATIONAL ISSUES ON THE FIELD
- D.1 – SECURING CULTURAL HERITAGE (Part 1)
- D.2- SECURING CULTURAL HERITAGE (Part 2)
- PART E – EXERCISE AND EVALUATION”, the training module concluded with a discussion-based exercise. During the day, the participants have been able to test their knowledge through an exercise. An evaluation test has been proposed to test the effective understanding of the training topics.
Further details on the Training are available through FOLLOW UP AND OUTCOMES FROM THE PROCULTHER PILOT INTERNATIONAL TRAINING MODULE ON THE PROTECTION OF TANGIBLE AND INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE DURING EMERGENCY – NOVEMBER 2021